Banker's Electric Protective Co., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Back Up Next

 

           The Bankers Electric Protective Association was a sucessful alarm system maker at the end of the nineteenth century, operating from 1896 through 1901. The name was changed from Bankers Electric Protective Association to Bankers Electric Protective Company in 1898. This photo shows the company's mascot / insignia on the side of the factory building where the company was located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It shows a serious-looking bulldog guarding a sack of money as illustrated by the Dollar sign on the front of the sack and reads "ALWAYS ON THE JOB". A good advert for an alarm company.

Consol-Bankers Elec.JPG (1081537 bytes)  Consol-Bankers Elec (1).JPG (1056086 bytes)

Consol-Bankers Elec (3).JPG (1069874 bytes)  Consol-Bankers Elec (4).JPG (1085209 bytes)

                                    Consol-Bankers Elec (2).JPG (948580 bytes)

c. 1898. The movement as well as the case suggest that this timer was licensed by the Consolidated company for The Bankers Electric Protective Company. The case design, with it's large window over the escapement looks back to the original Hall's Safe & Lock Company design before it became the Consolidated Time Lock Company in 1880. Movement and case are marked #4 making this the earliest example known of this lock. This is a rare variety of timer made for the Banker's company and it has an unusually long duration of 80 hours. This author has only seen this long duration in a single movement when combined with a dual Consolidated movement to create a three movement time lock. Only three of these alarm timers are known; only this example has the original wood base and electrical components. Time lock 3 5/8" w x 3 1/8" h x 2 5/8" d. file 84

Back Up Next