Hahl Automatic Clock Co, Chicago, Illinois, USA. serial no. 318, made in 1913. Graham
type deadbeat escapement, one second pendulum with Ellicott compensation, one minute
Harrison spiral spring remontoire, 'frictionless' pendulum crutch system.
93"h x 18"d x 25"w.
on the picture to go to a page for more detail.
August Hahl made his first pneumatic master clock in 1877. At this time
the only alternative to using pneumatics - air via compression or vacuum through a system
of piping - to drive remote clocks throughout a building, was the use of DC current
powered by batteries. At this time batteries had spotty reliability; maintenance and
replacement of large battery bank power sources for DC electric current systems was
expensive. Pneumatics eliminated this. His design was successful and the company
prospered. In 1897 the Hahl Automatic Clock Company was formed and was headquartered in
Chicago. In 1918 the Times Systems Company bought out the Hahl company. By the
middle 1920's alternating current began to be distributed widely and with the introduction
of the synchronous motor in combination with better frequency control by power system
operators, electrical distribution, which Hahl's system had made obsolete in the late
1800's once again gained ascendancy. See Telechron Type
A master clock. The pneumatic system with its complex air handling master /
slave equipment and expensive piping needed for air distribution was no longer
competitive with cheap electricity, motors and easier installation of wires over piping.