Chicago Time Lock Co., Chicago, Illinois - 2 movements, Marsh model 1
The nickel plate on the case is thick and of a very high quality. Note that the
bolt dogging lever is also highly polished and plated even though this would
never be seen.
The first photo shows the lock case with one movement removed. The serial number
67 is cast into the rear wall and the same number appears on the case door. Next
is a photo showing a Chicago movement from the company's Marsh Model 2 which was
the product introduced shortly after this time lock
Patent drawings associated with the Ernest Marsh model 1. The style of lock
illustrated is for use with an automatic bolt motor and so has a bottom release
whereas the example illustrated is for use with manual bolt works and so has a
hole in the side of the case where the the time lock's dogging device is
Around 1903, the Chicago Time Lock Co. debuted the first production time
lock that offered a ninety-six hour power reserve.
Based on a design for
which Ernest Marsh would be awarded a patent,
the earliest style of this time lock had a
nickel plated case housing two or three movements with
both larger twenty four hour primary dial
and a smaller secondary dial above, numbered
with only 0, 24, 48, 72, and 96.(1)
The movements do not have a makers attribution, but are
thought to have been made by the Hampden Watch Co. or perhaps its parent Deuber
Watch Co., both of Canton, Ohio. The design of and engraving of the escapements
is consistent of movements made by these companies at this time. These movements
feature a platform escapement that is fully interchangeable between movements.
This is based on a similar design used by Diebold where the balance wheel, lever
and escape wheels are all mounted to the platform. Parts within any platform,
however, are not interchangeable between platforms.
The type of platforms that Howard used in their
Yale locks were not interchangeable since these only had the balance wheel and
lever mounted together on the platform without the escape wheel. Tolerances
at this time were still too tight to allow for interchangeability between the
lever and escape wheel. The top mounted platforms used by Hall were not
interchangeable due to the added complication of their transverse mounting. By
the time that company was reincorporated into the Consolidated company in 1880
these still were not interchangeable until about the late 1890's.
Marsh model 1, c. 1903. 4 1/2"w x 4 1/2"h x 2 3/4"d, case # 67,
movements #96 and #97. file
Below is the only other example this author has seen of the Marsh model
1 (although there surely are others) and is from
the Mossman Museum, Nicholasville, Kentucky.